I've been thinking about it for a while, but today I decided to go ahead and try making a small floorcloth for the doll's Williamsburg Christmas party display. Emma had a Girl Scout's project (making denim purses from old jeans) this morning, so I decided to get some stencils, stencil brushes and some duck canvas. To avoid putting too much perfectionistic pressure on myself, I decided to think of it as an exercise. That way, if I totally screwed it up, I wouldn't be too upset. But, as luck would have it, it's coming out pretty well. I painted the background a colonial blue/green color and the border black. Inside, so far, are three rows (staggered) of a decorative tile pattern in black. In one of the patterns, I painted a barn reddish floral inside the black surround.
Still need to fix one of the borders.
More later ...