Sep 29, 2008

Lady Washington has arrived at the palace ...






She was no snap of the fingers. Resculpting and repainting of the face took days -- then, crazy me decided to do a sacque (or watteau gown) for Lady Washington. But she's finally finished and ready to make her debut with His Excellency on Blogspot!

You be the judge, but I think she came out quite well. George, btw, has grown taller since he was last photographed. I noticed that his legs looked squatty before. Can you believe he was 6'3" and Martha was only 5' tall? They never had children of their own, but George raised Martha's two surviving children from her marriage to Daniel Custis as his own (and adored his grandchildren). Martha's daughter died of Epilepsy in early adulthood. Some historians believe George was rendered sterile by a severe fever early in life. Others speculate that Martha could not reproduce after the difficult birth of her last child with Custis.

Let me know what you think of His Excellency and Lady Washington -- they're going to the Christmas show in Williamsburg with me.

Nina

6 comments:

Rachael Kinnison said...

She is wonderful Nina~ I L*O*V*E* her double chin~ very true to life! So do you do portrait dolls???? because I should think you would be the BEST at it that I know of! What a perfect gift for Christmas all you dolly lovers Husbands out there!!!!

Lone Pierette said...

Nina - you´re just the best !!!
hugs Lone

Nina Mason said...

What are you suggesting, Rachael? That your husband commission me to make a doll of you in a watteau gown and pompadour? Wouldn't that be fun! I suppose I could do real people, but hadn't thought about it. I suspect people would be too picky when the dolls weren't a complete double. I'm also not very interested in doing modern hair and clothes. But I might consider a portrait doll IF the person wasn't too picky about the doll's likeness and wanted a period impression. Interesting thought.

Rachael Kinnison said...

Hi Nina! AKKKKK NOT *ME*!!! No no! I dont ever have my picture taken, let alone dolly made to look like me! That would be a waste of clay......but what a special gift, any time of year, to have dolly made in the likeness of a loved one. I could never do a portrait doll~I seem to have no control of how or whom my dollys become..... they tell ME how things go!~ Rachael

Nina Mason said...

You'd be surprised how much mine dictate to me as well. The Washingtons, for example, will not be portrayed as old, fat and toothless. If I choose a portrait to work from that they don't like, they will not cooperate at all! George wanted to be portrayed in his prime. Mrs. Washington was only painted (that I could find) very young and very old ... so I tried to put her age somewhere in the middle, working from several pictures of her.

Dawn said...

Great likeness!You do wonderful work!